Municipal Court

The Municipal Court is the Judicial branch of City Government. Please review the information below for details you understand the Court proceedings and inform you of your rights and duties. We want every person to leave our Court feeling that they have been treated respectfully and fairly.

Traffic violations and violations of City Ordinances are under the jurisdiction of and are tried in Municipal Court. Trials are conducted under the Code of Criminal Procedure, the Code for Municipal Courts, and the Kansas Rules of Evidence as adopted by the Kansas Legislature.


If your ticket has a specified dollar amount on the "Total Due" line, you can choose to pay fines and fees before your scheduled court date. Click here to pay online. If any violation listed on your ticket specifies "COURT", you must appear for the virtual hearing set on the date and time detailed on your ticket, or Notice to Appear, to be arraigned by the Court. 

To pay by mail, review the information listed at the bottom (below the fold) of your traffic ticket. Under the heading "APPEARANCE, PLEA  AND WAIVER", check your plea of guilty or no contest and sign & date on the signature line. You should mail your completed ticket with a check or money order, made payable to the City of Roeland Park, for the total due to Roeland Park Municipal Court located at 4600 West 51st Street, Roeland Park, Kansas 66205. Payments may be brought in-person to the same address during regular City Hall business hours. 

appearing for your virtual court hearing

All Court Dockets are virtual ONLY via the website Zoom, which is accessible via computer, smartphone, and telephone. All defendants are required to appear before the Court, or join the court session, by using one of the options below:

  1. Click this link: and enter Passcode: 6400 to enter the session. Please be sure that your User Name is your name as it appears on your citation; OR
  2. Go to and input the Meeting ID: 995 6568 3245 and Passcode: 6400 to enter the session. Please be sure that your User Name is your name as it appears on your citation; OR
  3. Enter the session by calling: 1-312-626-6799 and inputting Meeting ID: 995 6568 3245#, Participant ID: #, and Meeting Password: 6400#.

Please note: After signing or calling in, you will be in a waiting room and will not see or hear anyone until Court Staff admits you. It is our hope that this virtual waiting room is an easier and safer option than waiting in-person at the Court House, and we appreciate your patience. If you are in the waiting room by 9:30 AM, you WILL be seen by court staff before the docket is closed. 

If you have additional questions, please review this document: Instructions (PDF)
Si tiene más preguntas, revise este document: Instructions in Spanish (PDF)

Be sure to email, fax, or drop off all information and documents that pertain to your case prior to your scheduled court hearing. This may include, but is not limited to, proof of insurance, a valid driver's license, or proof of completing a Court-ordered class or evaluation. Click here to email documents to the Municipal Court Clerk.

Arraignment, Amendments, plea agreements

At arraignment, you will appear before the Court and enter a plea for your charged violations. You can enter a plea of: 

  1. Guilty: You admit to having committed the act charged; and the Judge will order a fine, jail time, or other sentence.
  2. No Contest: You do not contest the City's charge; and the Judge will enter a verdict of guilty and order a fine, jail time, or other sentence. A plea of no contest is not an admission of fault and cannot be used against you in a civil proceeding. 
  3. Not Guilty: You deny guilt, which means that the City must prove their charge. Your case will be set for trial with the City Prosecutor. 

Amendments may be processed by the court clerk prior to your court date for certain traffic tickets and moving violations - requests for amendments should be made in-person, by telephone, or via email to For violations not eligible for amendment by the court clerk, you must appear for virtual court on the date and time listed on your citation to discuss the matter(s) with the City Prosecutor. 

Court records search

Court Records Request - Form

Roeland Park Municipal Court Online Records Search Site

Our online court record search system can assist you in accessing Municipal Court records for information such as upcoming dockets, upcoming court dates, final case dispositions or fines and fees due. Please be advised that it may take several business days from the date a ticket was issued for information to appear online. 

By using our online record search you agree that:  

The City of Roeland Park, including officers, employees, and agents, are not liable for any loss, consequence, or damage resulting directly or indirectly from the use or dissemination of any of the information available through the site. 

We do not provide any warranty, expressed or implied, that the information provided is accurate, current, correct, or complete. While we strive for accuracy and completeness of our data, no warranty or representation as to accuracy or completeness is made or implied. 

We may alter, amend, or modify information in the system without notice. The online record system is not considered an official court record. Therefore, any reliance on the data provided is at your own risk and liability. To confirm any information displayed, please contact Roeland Park Municipal Court by clicking here to send an email.

Right to an attorney & ENtry of Appearance

You have the right to be represented by an attorney in all cases at Roeland Park Municipal Court. If you are charged with an offense that may result in jail time, you must decide whether to proceed with or without an attorney. If you would like an attorney but cannot afford one, you can apply to the Court and request the appointment of a public defender. You will be required to complete a financial affidavit; and if you are appointed a public defender the Court may assess a fee of $100 to your case. We cannot advise or represent private citizens or entities. If you are seeking personal legal advice, please contact a private attorney. You can use the Kansas Bar Association as a resource to find an attorney. 

If you would like for an attorney to appear in court on your behalf, they must file an Entry of Appearance, in writing, to the court clerk at The Entry of Appearance must include all contact information, including the attorney's Kansas Bar Number. 

Right to trial

You have the right to inspect a complaint filed against you before trial and have it read to you at trial. You have the right to hear all testimony introduced against you. You have the right to testify on your own behalf, and you also have the constitutional right to not testify. If you choose not to testify, your refusal cannot and will not be used against you in determining your innocence or guilt. If you choose to testify, the City Prosecutor has the right to cross-examine you. You have the right to call witnesses to testify on you behalf, and the service of subpoenas for your witnesses will be your responsibility. You do not have the right to have your case tried before a jury in Municipal Court.

right to appeal

If you are found guilty at trial you have the right to appeal your case to the Johnson County District Court. If you do appeal the Judge's judgment, you must file a written notice of appeal with the clerk of the Municipal Court, post an Appeal Appearance Bond in the amount set out by the Judge, and pay a filing fee.